Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Stardust's Esophagus is... narrowed?

So, an update on the kitty!

Monday was very traumatic, as you can probably see from my bleak venting. Things are good at work, though. Everyone has been sympathetic and requested to be kept in the loop about precious Stardust. Well, here's the scoop while I'm on lunch break.

When we went back on Monday, they had to sedate her (she's pretty violent with the vet) in order to take x-rays. Illuminique's hubby was kind enough to drive me out to pick her up later, since Jesse was working and wouldn't be able to be there with me. I really appreciate that, especially since I know my conversing skills and nerdiness are probably not quite up to par with his. :} And, I was an emotional wreck. I was trying not to be, but I was, and I struggled to concentrate on what kind stories he would share with me. I'm glad, because some were very good.

When we got there, I got to see Stardust's x-rays. They had said on the phone they hadn't found any tumors or anything, so I was pretty relieved. Just that Stardust's esophagus was narrowed. I thought this meant maybe allergies, or swelling from all the throwing up. I mean, she did throw up for like, three days and nights straight. :( But, the x-rays looked very shocking. They said it was consistent throughout the various shots they took over the extended period, and what I saw was what looked like a tube that had gotten bent or pushed upward with an upside down, v-shaped object or something. What's more weird is that everything between here and there looked pristine, begging the question of how that happened. Even Illuminique's hubby stated that it must have been internal. Not that we're doctors, but it seems like an obvious conclusion. More distressing was the unidentifiable shadow behind everything that seems to have nothing to do with the current problem.

Consequent to all of these questions that the vet knew they would be unable to answer or resolve, we were referred to some specialists. Thankfully, one of them was eager to take on Stardust, and she will be seeing them tomorrow. Also, Stardust has stopped vomiting and has been able to keep food down, most likely due to the barium they used for the x-rays. It's a relief for myself, and most likely for her as well. I had stayed home yesterday while she recovered. Between not sleeping for three days and the tests, she was like a rag doll, barely able to chew once I got the food into her mouth, and even less able to get the food to go down, or stand up on her own to get to the litter box. She's self-sufficient today, which is why I'm at work, but she's looking pretty miserable . . . I wish I could go with her tomorrow, but I have a class. :( * siiigh *

Anyway, so that's the update. It sounds promising. Everyone's been saying that it's treatable, and the vet has been great, already sending over the information for Stardust to the specialist, and Jesse picked up the x-rays today. I probably should have just asked to take them home with me Monday, but I was so out of it. I was just relieved to be taking my kitty home and not having one of those meetings where the vet has to shut the door and you have to make the hard choice. But, even though it sounds promising . . . how can I take for granted the life of my best friend?

Well, I should get back to work. I'm done eating lunch, and I'm going to get back to work early today. Wish Stardust the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment